Caffeine is the most common psychoactive drug across the globe, responsible for stimulating the central nervous system and body energizer.
It is also known to reduce fatigue. However, what people don’t know is that caffeine is also a powerful ingredient used in the formulation of skincare creams.
When you are out hunting for a natural skincare product, you will probably want to know the ingredients of that particular item.
You may specifically want cream with plenty of anti-inflammatory and antioxidants agents as well as those with a hydrating effect.
Another powerful ingredient in your skincare products you may want to look out for is caffeine.
So, maybe the question that may be crossing your mind is if caffeine is an effective ingredient if applied on the skin. Well, caffeine claims to have lots of advantages on the skin and firming the skin is one.
According to PubMed.gov, caffeine has powerful antioxidant properties that help in slowing down the skin photo-aging process.
It also increases the circulation of blood in the skin by burning fats to avoid its accumulation in the cells and protects the cells from UV radiation.
How Does Caffeine Work for Skin Tightening?
Caffeine in cosmetics is common today because it can easily penetrate the skin barrier and also has high biological activity.
According to Elephant Journal.Com, topical application of creams with caffeine, penetrate the skin to treat skin condition such as acne, dark circles, and cellulite.
According to the journal, caffeine is also rich in antioxidant agents responsible for protecting the skin from harsh environmental aggressors such as sun rays.
How Safe Is Caffeine When Used on the Skin?
Direct injection of caffeine in large amounts can have serious side effects. As we had mention in our content on Serovital Vs Serovital Advanced, excess caffeine intake causes you to experience something like a jittery feeling, irritability, and even sleeping problems at night.
There is also increase heartbeat and muscle tremor. So, the recommended amount of caffeine you should be taking per day is 400 milligrams, which is equivalent to 4 medium cups per day.
However, for caffeine for skin tightening treatment, it works differently. It claims to penetrate through the skin, the only a little amount of caffeine is absorbed, to give your skin numerous benefits.
In other words, caffeine is safe for the skin because the amount that enters the skin is not enough to cause any kind of harm.
Types of skin tightening products containing caffeine
Today, there are varieties of skincare products formulated using caffeine that has many advantages to the skin. However, people are probably asking; does caffeine tighten skin, or does caffeine tighten skin dimples? Well, here are some of the items that contain caffeine and their effect on the skin:
- Eye serum/cream: eye creams containing caffeine as one of the ingredients help to fade noticeable bags that appear under the eyes. It is also said to diminish dark circles around the eyes as well as puffiness.
- Face moisturizer: The majority of anti-aging face serums are made using caffeine as part of their ingredients because it is responsible for getting rid of wrinkles and fine lines that form on the forehead.
- Face Serum: almost all face serums are known to be in the liquid form, which makes them more effective. There is face serum containing only caffeine, while there are those with a combination of caffeine and other ingredients.
- Cleansing products: most skin cleansing products are made using caffeine because of its brightening effect on the skin. Caffeine in these types of products claims to improve the circulation of blood and also makes the skin look radiant.
- Cellulite cream: all body creams containing caffeine are known to be the best products if you want to get rid of cellulite, stretch marks, and lines that appear on the thighs and legs. It also purports to have a brightening effect on your skin.
- Makeup: Caffeine in some makeup has various skin benefits, such as hydrating the skin. When applied to the face, they leave the face smooth and moist.
General Benefits of Caffeine on Your Skin
Caffeine has lots of benefits to your skin, just like other organic ingredients used to formulate skincare products. Some of its advantage to the skin includes the following:
- Repair of damaged skin: caffeine is a powerful antioxidant. It contains a substance called polyphenols responsible for repairing damaged skin as well as boosting its immunity. The ingredient generally has anti-aging benefits like fading wrinkles that form around the eye and fine lines present on the skin. According to Research Gate Publication, caffeine has antioxidants that help to reduce sunburn rays in the skin as well as preventing UV rays by suppressing thymine dimers formation.
- It enhances blood circulation: Caffeine is also known to enhance the circulation of blood across the body, something that is healthy for the skin. It claims to improve the skin complexion making it glossy with a radiant look. Caffeine also purports to lessen facial redness by narrowing blood vessels as well as calming down the skin.
- Fades fine lines and wrinkles: The process of aging is said to reduce collagen in the skin. So, caffeine as an ingredient in the face creams helps to boost the production of new collagen responsible for making the skin more elastic and firmer. When this happens, it helps to smooth out signs of aging like wrinkles and fine lines on the skin. The antioxidants present in caffeine also help in repairing damaged skin, hence reducing wrinkles on the skin.
- It burns fats: caffeine helps to burn fats in the body. It does this by changing it into fatty acids. It does this by eliminating sub-dermal fat while leaving fats around the inner organs intact. Although the idea that caffeine can burn fats when used in the formulation of topical cream is something that still raises questions, there are studies that back this claim.
- It boosts the production of new collagen: The aging process does damage the collagen in the skin. When it is less, it makes the skin sag and less firm and less elastic. So, the production of new collagen in the skin restores the firmness and elasticity of the skin that was sagging and wrinkled.
- It gets rid of cellulite: since caffeine is said to contain properties that can burn fats, the same agents also claim to get rid of cellulite from your body. The antioxidant properties in the caffeine also repair the damaged skin barrier, including pockets and dimples known to be typical of cellulite.
- It contains anti-inflammatory properties: They are responsible for reducing skin inflammation. It, therefore, purports to fade away swelling and redness on the skin. Caffeine also claims to reduce bags that form under the eyes as well as puffiness on the skin.
The Most Asked Questions
Q: Should You Apply Caffeine on Your Face Skin Daily?
A: No, it is not safe to scrub coffee grounds on your skin daily. It is quite rough, and it can cause harm to your skin. In a week, you should do coffee scrub like 2-3 times. It will help remove dead skin cells to give your skin a lasting glow.
However, if you are using caffeine skin tightening cream, you can use the product on a daily basis because on a little of caffeine is absorbed into the skin.
But the majority of products recommend that you use them at least twice every day. For better results, always look at the instructions on the product and follow them to the letter.
Q: Is Caffeine for Skin Care Safe for use During Pregnancy?
A: Caffeine for skin tightening and dry skin product is not safe during pregnancy. If you are pregnant, you should keep off all skin care products containing caffeine because it can cause harm to the baby.
You should instead use other products available in the market with other skincare ingredients with similar benefits.
Q: Does Caffeine has Aging Effect on the Skin?
A: While caffeine may have plenty of benefits to your skin, lots of it can cause a dehydrating effect on the skin. If this happens to be the case, it can lead to loss of collagen, which may in turn cause wrinkles and sagging of the skin. It can also result in skin inflammation.
Q: Is Caffeine Any Good To Your Skin?
A: Caffeine can help to reduce cellulite from forming on the skin. The content in the caffeine is potent when it comes to cellulite reduction.
It assists in blood vessel dilation present beneath the skin, which improves blood flow. All these are said to decrease cellulite appearance on the skin.
There are plenty of skincare ingredients, and caffeine happens to be one of them. Caffeine for skin tightening cream gets rid of cellulite, smoothens out fine lines and wrinkles, improves blood flow, burns fat, and initiates the production of collagen.
According to the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, caffeine is also high in oxidants and is known for its best anti-inflammatory agents that protect the skin from environmental aggressors that damage your skin.
There are lots of skincare products out there formulated using caffeine. They range from body lotion, eye cream to face serum.
Caffeine for skin tightening reviews is mostly positive, an indication that the ingredient is effective on the skin.
Now that you know the benefits of caffeine in skincare products, it is up to you to choose a brand with caffeine that suits your skin needs.